40 Affirmations For Traders
Includes references at the end of the book.
Cover by Miguel Carlos
Table of contents
Now, the science stuff
“I can” vs. “I can’t”
Let’s get to it
A word of caution
My offer to you
About The Author
“You can’t change what’s going on around you, you can only change what’s going on within.” Unknown
I want to thank you for downloading this document. I believe you are going to find it extremely pertinent. A lot of time went into the creation of this list of self-affirmations – I literally went through dozens of books as I wanted to look past my own anecdotal experience and see whether self-affirmations really do work. I wanted to see whether science is backing up the claims made by now thousands of people who do implement self-affirmations in their lives.
The results are clear: Self-affirmation does work!
Now, you may be wondering to yourself… “How do they work?”; “How can a bunch of statements possibly help me better the quality of my decisions in the market, let alone change my life?” In order to answer that question and show you the effects of using these affirmations diligently, let me share my personal story… and then later, we’ll get to the science stuff.
My interest for the markets started when I was still a teenager. Early in life, I was fascinated by compound return tables and the magic of growing capital over time. But little did I know that trading was, above all, a game of self-control and self-regulation. Later, I discovered this to my expense.
I wish I could tell you that it was a straight road from there on but it would be far from the truth. Before I was able to get consistent results in the markets as a trader, I went through rather significant drawdowns in capital – both monetary and emotional. Sometimes, life has a very particular way of showing us that we require a profound change in our outlook and behavior.
I grew up in a very unstable and uncertain environment. Not to go too much into details but the kinds of beliefs I acquired were dysfunctional in nature and self-limiting. And, it never appeared to me that the constant negative self-talk I was engaging in had a detrimental effect on the way I traded, on the way I experienced the markets, and essentially on the way I lived my life.
Ever heard of the saying “We are what we think of ourselves”? It’s only when I truly became committed to working on myself, and in essence, changing the way I think, that I really began to understand (experientially) the truth in this saying.
Long story short, I began working with a list of affirmations that I read out loud to myself every single day. They served to gradually neutralize the constant negative self-talk I was unconsciously engaging in. In the long term, they helped replace those limiting self-talk/thoughts with empowering and accepting ones that opened my mind to possibilities and opportunities instead of obstacles, failures, and negatives. 10 years later, I am now running a very profitable trading business, and I think, affirmations have, in many ways, been instrumental in that ascension.
Neuroscience is the study of the nervous system (how it develops, its structure and activity), including the brain, spinal cord, and networks of nerve cells called “neurons,” and their impact on behavior and cognitive functions. Extensive research over the past two decades has proven that the brain – once largely thought as immutable and unchangeable after a certain age – is a dynamic organ that changes constantly as we gain new knowledge and experiences.
The brain’s ability to change is known as neuroplasticity. Derived from the root words “neuron” (nerve cells in the brain linked together by synapses) and “plasticity” (the capacity to be sculpted, moulded, or altered), neuro-plasticity is the brain’s potential to create neural pathways and to reorganize itself according to how it’s used – or not being used.
Areas of the brain that you use often become bigger and stronger, while parts used less frequently become smaller and less effective. For example, every time you have the experience of being “stressed out” the neural networks and areas of the brain responsible for the experience are reinforced. Conversely, the structures that produce the experience of being ”calm, cool, and collect” fall by the sideway.
Here’s why: neurons that fire together wire together, strengthening neural pathways that establish our habitual thoughts, behaviors, and reactive patterns, which then fortify those same neural networks. This is why it can be difficult to feel better after long periods of stress and sadness. Conversely, this is also the reason why practicing positive affirmations can help in the long run!
Our lives are pretty much self-fulfilling prophecies. When we deeply believe in something our behavior is usually aligned with that belief. So, every time we tell ourselves “I can’t”, we are creating a feedback loop that is a reminder of our limitations – our behavior generally follows, and this is the kind of behavior we are reinforcing. Similarly, if we tell ourselves “I can”, our behavior usually goes in line with such a statement, and the more we practice saying “I can”, the more we are reinforcing this behavior.
An affirmation, therefore, is defined as the assertion that something exists or is true. An emerging set of published studies1 suggests that a brief self-affirmation activity during the day can boost the physical and emotional well-being of a person. It can also protect against the damaging effects of stress on problem-solving performance, hence, accelerating one’s ability to achieve his goals.
Napoleon Hill, one of the earliest producers of modern genre personal-success literature, interviewed many of the most successful people of his time – Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and so on – and the one thing that they all seemed to have in common was that they acted as if what they desired most already existed before they had it. This was the core philosophy of Hill’s work and it is a good representation of the role affirmations plays in long-term success in any field.
By stating affirmations to yourself in a mantra-like fashion and repeatedly over weeks, months and years, your mind becomes trained to think in a different way. If you don’t think this works, think about your fears for a moment. For example, if you are afraid of spiders, you are literally using affirmations and visualization to train your mind to produce a state of panic whenever you see one.
This also works in reverse – people who are confident have affirmed, at every opportunity, to themselves that they are confident in every situation, whether they did it consciously or not. We all use affirmations in our lives without even knowing that we do, so why not put affirmations to good use and consciously train your brain to a better way of thinking?
Below is a list of 40 statements for mental reprogramming that you can implement as part of a daily ritual. Doing this on a daily basis will contribute to keeping you positively focused on the process of practicing proper trading habits. The principle you are using is repetition of positive thought. The idea is to get as many repetitions/impressions as possible in order to turn these thoughts into your normal thought habits. This may seem like a lot of work and may seem difficult to sustain, but isn’t your trading career worth the effort? Even more so, isn’t your life worth the sacrifice?
I suggest these 5 steps to get the most out of these affirmations:
1. Reading those 40 affirmations daily can prove to be quite daunting. Since you want to do something that is sustainable over the long run, read through the entire list and identify the affirmations you want to focus on. Then pick only 3 that resonate with you the most and stick with them. Once an affirmation becomes a belief – once it becomes an intricate part of who you are – then you can add a new one to your list.
2. Write out/ print the affirmations, and keep them on your trading desk so that they are within sight.
3. Never start your trading day without those affirmations. A positive mindset + a proven trading methodology= success!
4. Some days you won’t be in the mood to read the affirmations. Read them anyways – that is when you’ll need them the most. The fact that you’re doing what needs to be done, instead of doing what’s easy will assert something within you. You will be telling to your subconscious, “No, I really want this. I am committed to making trading success a reality for me.” The subconscious mind is always there listening. It never sleeps; it is always attentive to the kind of things we say to ourselves. So if our self-talk is negative in nature, it will be affecting our lives in detrimental ways.
5. Once a week, sit down and write out the affirmations that are specifically hard for you to implement. Writing them down will help consolidate them inside your mind.
1. I am a successful and profitable trader
2. I objectively define my edge in the markets
3. I am patient and I let trading opportunities present themselves to me
4. I believe in my trading strategy completely and wholeheartedly, and I act upon my edge without hesitation, doubts or fears
5. I am committed to doing whatever it takes to reach my trading objectives, goals, and visions
6. I pre-define my risk on every trade I place. I completely accept that risk ,and I am willing to completely let go of that trade once it’s on
7. I keep a journal for all my trades – whether they are winners or losers
8. I continuously monitor my susceptibility to making errors by keeping detailed logs for every trade I place
9. I trade according to what the market IS doing, not what I think it ‘should’ be doing”
10. I have completely relaxed self-assurance. I am sure of myself in all situations
11. Markets are uncertain and I am at peace with it. I accept the losses it hands me with gratitude for they are learning experiences. I also accept the wins with gratitude, however, I let go of all of these outcomes – my focus is on the process of trading well
12. I know when I am prone to making trading errors and I am aware of the mental occurrences happening within me at that time. I feel them – I breathe into my lower abdomen and I watch them pass. This allows me to regain objectivity
13. I am easily able to relax as deeply as I wish at any time. I use this ability to conserve my energy
14. I am absolutely clear about the specific results I want in trading.
15. I carefully measure and manage my progress towards my desired trading results every day
16. I increase my hunger and desire to achieve my trading goals every day
17. Every day, before I start trading I ask myself the following question: “What can I do today to shorten the time it will take for me to reach my trading goal?”
18. I always keep my long term trading goals in head, and I tell myself that it’s happening – one small step at a time i am heading there
19. I spend my time wisely and meaningfully
20. When I trade, all I am doing is building skills. Just like a science experiment, I am collecting data points and assessing the results over a set number of trades
21. I trade small and often to get better at what I do, and to reduce the impact of a single negative trade
22. I fully accept mistakes and failures as part of my development and self-growth – they are just experiences that point the way. I am patient with myself when I inevitably make mistakes and experience failures
23. Money is automatically drawn to me as a result of trading well and consistently
24. I cultivate the awareness of the present which brings a whole new dimension to my current life situations
25. I am aware of my body and mind’s need for rest. I do lots of different activities throughout the day that are unrelated to trading. When I come back to my trading station I am awake, alive, clear and energized
26. I am positive. I poor happiness in whatever I am doing
27. I am free from any attachment to money, outcomes, or being right. This, in turn, releases my capacity to perform to the best of my abilities in the markets
28. The consistency in my trading endeavors benefits every area of my life and brings more happiness along the way
29. I take full responsibility for my actions. Whatever the ensuing results are, I learn from them
30. My focus is entirely on the process of trading instead of any particular outcome. The chance to compete for something I care about, the opportunity to work hard, the time and space to make something of value, those acts and those moments are the real prize. The fight is the reward
31. I believe unconditionally that markets are uncertain and unpredictable on a trade-by-trade basis. Therefore, I take a pragmatic and objective approach to them
32. All my trading decisions are made prior to market open. During market hours, I execute
33. Every time I follow my trading plan, I am feeding the new sets of beliefs that I want to instill in me. And, the more I do it the easier it gets until it becomes second nature
34. I make money in the markets, and this is an affirmation of my self-mastery
35. I am content with what I have. I know that I am exactly where I should be in life and I take responsibility for my role in life
36. I love myself enough to allow me to experience trading success
37. I know that success in trading can come with luck or hard work. If it comes with hard work it is more durable, so I am willing to work hard for my own chance at success
38. I understand that consistency is more important than being “right”
39. I allow myself to feel the full range of human emotions. If I am happy, I show it. If I am sad, I find it easy to weep and thus dispel the sadness. The ability to show emotions at appropriate times is valuable, and the mark of a mature person
40. I constantly reward myself as the markets make profits available to me
Feel free to incorporate some of your own statements – this is YOUR journey after all. You can add statements that cover other areas of your life as well. They all don’t have to be specifically trading-related.
For example, when I feel low on a certain day for x number of reasons – it may be a loss in the markets, or something that is not related to trading – I take a deep breath and I affirm the following to myself: “I am so grateful for my life. I am grateful for having been granted the opportunity to experience life, with its ups and downs. I am grateful for all the range of emotions I feel… joy, sadness, hope, despair, etc.”
This affirmation has such a powerful effect on me that even by the mere thought of it, an intense feeling of gratitude, courage, joy and hope emerges within me. So play with it and see what affirmations work for you.
One thing to keep in mind, though, is to keep your new statements positive and in the present tense. Every negative thoughts or words are considered as negative affirmations and these can be even more powerful than positive affirmations because for some reasons we often find them easier to accept.
The brain doesn’t seem to automatically process negative languages. Any statements that include the word “don’t” or prefixes such as “un” or “non” are initially (subconsciously) processed in the positive. If I tell you not to think about a pink elephant, for example, you automatically think about it even though I specifically asked you not to. This is why we should avoid using statements in the negative. Rather than focusing on an outcome that is not desired, focus on what is desired.
Again, your subconscious mind is listening to everything you tell yourself, and it doesn’t have a filter. It will take in everything that you say, and over time, unconditionally accept the most consistent messages as reality – whether this is actually true or not. It doesn’t matter if you are only kidding or don’t truly believe the things you say to yourself. Your subconscious doesn’t have a sense of humor, and is completely literal; therefore, if you really want to make some durable changes in your life, you have to be mindful of whatever it is you are doing and saying so as not to fall into long-established neural pathways.
This means that whatever you think, perceive, and feel (whether intentional or unconscious) when you’re trading is training the brain to think, perceive, and feel in those ways at all times, in and out of the markets. And that’s why you often get locked in unproductive patterns of behavior time and time again causing you to sap days, week, months, and years of hard earned profits. This is why you can’t reliably act in your best interest in the markets.
I hope I was successful in reflecting back to you some things that maybe were out of your perspective. As insightful or revealing as those things were, if you suffer from repeated and compulsive trading errors, you have to understand that affirmations are only part of the solution. To change deeply ingrained unproductive patterns of behavior in the markets, especially in a record period of time, one has to understand that a deeper work must be done.
I have designed a course called The Trading Psychology Mastery Course to help you with that, and I can tell you, it is unlike anything you’ve seen. In it, I aspire to help you develop into an emotionally intelligent trader, regardless of your background.
I am a trader with several years of experience in anything pertaining to meditation and present moment awareness. I don’t just talk the talk, I walk it, extensively. I’ve been to countless extended retreats, studied with many renowned “enlightened” teachers and gurus, and I have developed a thorough understanding of my mind.
Meditation/ Mindfulness have provoked some deep transformational changes in me and the way I trade, and in the course, I help traders go through that same process of transformation.
The implications of such profound mental changes are enormous for us traders. When equanimity, balance, wise discernment, among other wholesome mental characteristics become the new norm of the mind, what ensues is a way of trading that is effortless, enjoyable, and above all profitable!
So, I know how to guide you through your journey, and I can tell you, you have all to gain and nothing to lose. Well… the only thing you stand to lose is your ego… but that’s a good thing, trust me.
Market success begins with stability of mind, flexibility, concentration, and non-attachment, all of which are explored in detail in this two-week practical and deep home immersion. In it you will learn:
• How you create your own results in the markets – good or bad.
• To work with obstacles, such as our mental conditioning, or our normal propensity for not accepting risk; for wanting to be right, craving certain, and so on.
• To detach yourself from the concept of money for a smoother trading experience
• How to deepen your concentration, and focus
• Self-regulation, so no matter what the markets do and no matter what they throw at you, you’ll remain equanimous and unperturbed.
• And more…
The following is required of you, if you decide to enroll in the course:
• Get yourself a journal
• Abstinence from any trading activity for 2 weeks
• Commitment, commitment, commitment!
Very few traders work on developing strong skills of introspection. I know absolutely brilliant people who could have been extraordinary traders if they had cultivated an ability to make the most basic discrimination about their moment to moment experience. Conversely, I’ve met many traders who aren’t especially brilliant but who are so in tune with themselves that they are unshakable and equanimous in the midst of uncertainty and vicissitudes, and this makes all the difference, in terms of their trading results.
So, if you can commit to this course wholehearted, you will begin to gain insight into the way you live and think. You will see how it is affecting your trading results. You will see how you are seeing the markets through your own set of filters, and not for what it truly is.
The barriers we face in our trading are always a function of the stories we tell ourselves. You will learn to calm your mind and to drop beneath the stories. You will begin to experience your trading in a whole new way. Sometimes shifts are dramatic and sometimes gradual, but I will guide you and support you through this whole journey, and you should start seeing results within a month. Yes, one month!
So, enroll if:
• You think you might be up for the challenge (and promise you, it’s going to be a challenge!).
• If you want to learn more about yourself. By ‘conquering’ yourself, you will conquer the markets
• If you are serious about your trading career (and your life)
The course is priced at 200 USD, but if you use the code below, you get 50 USD off that price. That’s my gift to you! And I want to inform you that the price tag of 200 dollars is likely to increase in the future as I continue to make improvements to the program. So this is your chance to lock in a lifetime access to the program – $50 off!
I hope to see you in!
Head to www.tradingcomposure.com
Enter this coupon code: EQUANIMITY
When you come to the payment page there is a very faint option under the USD 200 box (you have to place your cursor on it to see it). When you click on it, you will be asked to input any coupon you have.
Benefits of self-affirmation: http://www.cmu.edu/homepage/health/2013/summer/benefits-of-self-affirmation.shtml
Carnegie Mellon Research Shows Self-Affirmation Improves Problem-Solving Under Stress http://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2013/may/may3_selfaffirmation.html]
The Psychology of Change: Self-Affirmation and Social Psychological Intervention https://ed.stanford.edu/sites/default/files/annurev-psych-psychology_of_change_final_e2.pdf]
Self-Affirmation Improves Problem-Solving under Stress:] [+ http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0062593+]
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
My name is Yvan Byeajee, I’m 34 years old at the time of this writing, and I have been a full-time trader since 2007. These days when I am not trading, I blog at .
I have written for, or been covered by Newtraderu, Zentrader.ca, Tradeciety, Tradingstory.com, Bizcommunity, Traders Mag, Business Magazine, etc..
You can check out my author page at: www.amazon.com/author/yvanbyeajee
You can follow me on twitter @yvanbyeajee; Facebook: Yvan Byeajee; or you can subscribe to my blog at www.tradingcomposure.com
**** Includes A Bonus Gift You Will Not Want To Miss **** Fact: Affirmations are one of the most popular personal development techniques, but they are also one of the least effective. That is not because affirmations donâ€™t work; itâ€™s because most people arenâ€™t using them the correct way. In this short ebook, I will show you why affirmations work and how traders are not using them well. I will show you how to create ones that DO work. I will also provide you with a comprehensive list of positive affirmations to help transform how you interact with the markets trade after trade. Finally, I will give you complete instructions on how to use those affirmations in the most effective ways to get the results you want. Most people live their life with an untamed mind, and then they come into trading expecting to make millions overnight. Don't be one of them. Get this FREE ebook.