1. Consistency: In last +180 days, I don’t think I missed a single day except when I went to my home district to get my passport. I did it even though I woked up at 5 AM, 7 AM, 10 AM or even 11 AM. I exercised even when I was sick (cold, body ache). I did just whatever I could do. I was just trying to fill the quota of my exercising. Sometimes it don’t feel like doing but I did it for the sake of doing thinking “Once it becomes the Habit, things will easier and automatic.” Today it has become habit, I still feel little bit of resistance but nowadays it’s lot easier and automatic. Nowadays I feel bad when I try to avoid exercising.
2. Had a Goal: The main purpose of my exercising was to form a good habit and to be healthy. But I also wanted to gain some weight, I guess which worked.
(This picture was taken in January 10, 2017 for my answer in [+ Quora.)+]
3. I Autosuggested: I don’t know whether this really helps or not. But everyday I autosuggest three times after waking up. I read wonderful principals and philosophical quotes, which gives me right kind of mindset. Most importantly it gives me momentum, you see it’s not that hard to just read 3-4 pages of quotes and ideas and when I finish reading it, I feel like exercising because I have habituated myself to do so. I have repeated that same patterns so many times that my brain gets in automatic mode. It’s because of this same reason that some people head for Brushing their teeth just after eating dinner or head to watch TV or newspaper after coming home without even thinking. You can read the example of Autosuggestion
1. Focus on one: Since you are reading this book, I can assume that you want to exercise, you might have also seen my and you might have also got inspired by that or some other people. So, you might be planning to do different varieties of exercise and even start running from tomorrow. Well, that’s a terrific idea but the sad thing is you will certainly fail if this is your first attempt. Why? Because it rarely works that way, I failed a lot because of that same idea. It’s like 2 years old child who can barely walk with two legs thinking to run as fast as he can from tomorrow. Yeah, it’s that crazy. So, what I did? Actually in the beginning I only focused on doing Push Up, I also wanted to run but my plate was already full. As I progressed doing push up, I added various other exercises in my routine. After few months of Push Up, I started adding chair dips, then heel raise etc. I don’t know the exact order but it was slow and small change. So, if you want to do Push Up then focus only on doing push up, if you want to go for jogging then focus only in jogging. I guess I made my point clear i.e. One Thing at a Time, just One Thing.
2. Stay consistent: When we do something daily, our brain stores it and start automating it. More we do it, more automatic and habitual it gets and it becomes less painful, I mean we get used to the pain and uneasiness of exercising. For example, there is a place named Sunawal near my home, there is a Sugar Mill which releases the very bad odour everyday in the morning and evening, a new person feels like dying when he goes there at that time. But local people who lives around that Sugar Mill don’t notice it, part of the reason is that their brain got habitual to it that’s why they don’t smell or notice the odour. In the beginning, it used to feel like I was torturing myself, whole body used to hurt, sometimes even for a whole day. But as days passed on things started getting easier and easier.
3. Don’t miss a day (try not to): I know all days aren’t same, sometimes you might feel tired, weak or busy but just do it for the sake of doing it, just do it whenever you can, whatever you can; if you forgot or missed to do in the morning then do it in the evening. Do it, even if you are in some place away from your house, do by using whatever is available to you. Well I am a introvert guy, so most of the time I will be at home but there were days when I had to go to my relatives or to places where I had to stay in hotel. But good thing about my exercise routine is: I don’t need any equipment, my own body is enough and it worked. So, don’t try to miss even a single day. In the extreme conditions when you can’t exercise then atleast do imagination about exercising, I mean atleast visualize about exercising. This helps.
4. Have a goal: Find the reason to exercise. Tony Robins said, “We move either due to inspiration and desperation.” Find out your why? Is it because you want to avoid your current health problems or is it you want to have a wonderful body. Having a goal gives you motivation but don’t expect too big result, don’t expect to get buffed up like a wrestler in just 5-6 months or don’t expect to loose all those weights you gathered up in just months. First of all just try to form the habits, focus on action rather than results.
Then I do some yoga for my back. You can read about it in detail in my
Well, the topic of this book seems that it’s only about exercise but it can be used to any anything, anything you want to master. About 6-7 months ago, I was trying to do exercise (Push Up), but I was able to do only 10-15 at a time. I was forcing myself to do one more, I was using all my might and strength just to do one more, I was stuck in the middle of air, my hands were shaking, I was sweating, whole floor was wet with sweat and my hands were slipping in the wet floor of sweat. It was hard, it really really was. Moreover, if this is your first attempt then many of you guys may not be able to do 5 Push Ups or even 2-3 Push Ups. Well, it’s normal, most people can’t do it, we are not born with the ability to do push up, we have to train ourselves and teach ourselves. By the way, I was able to do 10-15 Push Ups because I have been doing Push Up since my early teen years, but I wasn’t regular. And about 1 year ago, I was busy constructing my house, it was really hard and during that time I stopped exercising and doing push up. So, since I wasn’t using my muscle in the arms, it started getting weaker and weaker. Hence, I ended up being able to do only 10-15 Push Ups. So, guys it doesn’t matter if this is your first attempt, you can do anything you want, anything you put your mind and body into.